[Matroska-users] Question regarding licensing

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Tue Aug 24 14:58:46 CEST 2021

Hi,

On 2021-08-16 23:17, MB via Matroska-users wrote:
> Hi support-team,
>
> have you already been able to process my request regarding the licensing
> clarification?
>
> Thank you very much for your help
>
> Best Regards
>
> On 04.08.2021 13:18, MB wrote:
>>
>> Hi support-team,
>>
>> I've got a question regarding licensing of the Matroska Container
>> Specification.
>>
>> We're planning to use the Maroska Container format for one of our
>> commercial products. As we're going to use non of the provided C or
>> C++ Code I'm wondering what kind of license would we have to respect?
>>
>> The only info I found on the Web-Page was regarding the various C or
>> C++ Libs for LibEBML2 or LibMatroska. LibEBML also seems to be a C
>> library, which we're not going to use.
>>
>> So is there any License we have to respect for our own implementation?

No you don't. But you're going to use the name "Matroska" in your
products you have to make sure your implementation can handle very basic
Matroska files.
You can find more details on the files you should be able to handle at
https://www.matroska.org/downloads/test_suite.html

>> Could you also please help me to clear up the meaning of "Usage of
>> names & logos": Does the name also include the file ending .mkv? Or
>> does this part of the legal aspect mean, that the Name "Matroska"
>> cannot be used freely in promoting material or user instructions?

Only the Matroska name and our logo are protected. To use them you just
have to make sure your reader can handle the files in the link above. Or
that the files you create are valid (no error) according to mkvalidator:
https://www.matroska.org/downloads/mkvalidator.html

Best regards,
Steve Lhomme