[Matroska-users] Ill formed MKV

websites at danhinsley.com websites at danhinsley.com
Sun Jan 5 18:54:20 CET 2020

I have a tagging app (MetaX for Windows) so I've written MKV processing code.  One thing that I run into from time to time is a malformed file from a user (usually downloaded from somewhere) that VLC will play and the MKVToolNix programs can read, but it's not really correct.  The latest one (and I suspect this happens a lot) is that the size reported by the segment is larger than the file.  So, I'm thinking MKVInfo (and maybe VLC) just pretends like the length of the segment is the rest of the file.  Is this what it does?  Just want to make sure that's a reasonable way to deal with this.

Thanks