[Matroska-users] mkv with bitmap subtitle

Thomas Schmiedl thomas.schmiedl at web.de
Thu Jul 26 14:43:49 CEST 2018

Hello,

I use xupnpd2-mediaserver on my router to transfer some HLS-streams to
the TV (DNLA).

Now, I try to integrate the map with the actual tram position as shown
on the website [1] to this stream [2]. In ffmpeg it's possible to use
the video-filter "overlay", but the router is too low for re-encoding.

My idea is to add a bitmap subtitle without re-encoding. For a test, I
exported a text in "Subtitle Edit" as idx/sub, and muxed this in ffmpeg
to a "static" mkv file. The TV displayed it. The ffmpeg "listen mode"
doesn't work with xupnpd2 / TV (maybe because it isn't a closed file in
"listen mode").

Is it possible to generate mkv segments including the image subtitle
(convert a map-image [3] to a bitmap subtitle format) on the router? And
delete already displayed segments (like the ffmpeg option for
HLS-streams), because the router has only few memory.

The ffmpeg mailing-list doesn't help me in this issue, and I got no
reply from the idnes.cz support team (I asked to overlay the map on
their servers).

Thanks for your help and best regards,
Thomas

PS: If the stream [2] isn't available, you could change the number in
the url (e.g. http://live.idnes.cz/slow/slowtv6_720p/master.m3u8)

[1]
https://slowtv.playtvak.cz/prave-ted-mazaci-tramvaj-jede-prahou-d73-/mazaci-tramvaj.aspx?c=A150908_111659_mazaci-tramvaj_plap

[2] http://live.idnes.cz/slow/slowtv7_720p/master.m3u8