[Matroska-users] Unplayable MKV files

Francesco Lavra francescolavra.fl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 12:41:14 CET 2017

Hi,
I'm generating .mkv files with my custom code, but somehow I'm unable
to reproduce them (tried with a bunch of video players, e.g. VLC,
Mplayer, avplay). Yet if I convert one such file to mp4 with VLC, the
converted file plays just fine. During the conversion, I'm not doing
any transcoding of the video, I'm keeping the original video track as
it is (and there are no audio tracks), so the only thing that VLC
should be doing when converting the file is changing the container
format form Matroska to MP4. What could there be that prevents VLC
from playing the file correctly, but allows it to convert the file to
another format and play correctly the converted file?
I put a sample file at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zJs75gPN6SYMvdEHPsLOATCpZEeMc3Fm/view?usp=sharing
if anyone wants to have a look. There must be something wrong with the
Matroska headers, but I can't see it.

Thanks,
Francesco