[Matroska-users] Metadata

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Thu Feb 16 02:57:44 CET 2017

Hi,

> On Feb 15, 2017, at 6:40 PM, Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net> wrote:
>
> I've known of Matroska for awhile, but only started recently using it to author multimedia files.
>
> I must say that it looks conceptually to be very powerful, but I am having trouble figuring out metadata.
>
> I don't know if this is a VLC thing or a MKV thing.
>
> I'm creating videos from short audio clips, the purpose of which is to embed subtitles in a variety of languages for people who need or want them. I know I can just do that with .mka as well, but I can script ImageMagick to make frames that have some visual stimulation to go with the audio too.
>
> The version of VLC I am testing with to play the files is 2.2.4 on Linux (CentOS 7).
>
> When I add the metadata, I create an XML file with the following:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE Tags SYSTEM "matroskatags.dtd">
> <Tags>
>  <Tag>
>    <Targets>
>      <TargetTypeValue>50</TargetTypeValue>
>    </Targets>
>    <Simple>
>      <Name>TITLE</Name>
>      <String>Tease, Delay, and Denial</String>
>    </Simple>
>    <Simple>
>      <Name>ARTIST</Name>
>      <String>Mistress Cooper</String>
>    </Simple>
>    <Simple>
>      <Name>ALBUM</Name>
>      <String>Cooper’s Sample Audios</String>
>    </Simple>
>    <Simple>
>      <Name>GENRE</Name>
>      <String>Erotic Audio</String>
>    </Simple>
>    <Simple>
>      <Name>Publisher</Name>
>      <String>LDW Group, Inc.</String>
>    </Simple>
>  </Tag>
> </Tags>
>
> I add it to the MKV container with the following:
>
> mkvmerge -o output.mkv --global-tags file.xml tmp.mkv
>
> That seems to work except for the title and publisher.
>
> I can set the title with
>
> mkvpropedit output.mkv --edit info --set "title=Whatever"
>
> however it is not set from the import of the XML file, not in a way that VLC will identify it.

There is a difference between setting the Title Element as you’ve done with mkvpropedit and using “TITLE” as a metadata value in tags. I tested both uses and see that VLC uses the Title Element but does not use “TITLE” as a metadata tag.

> As for the Publisher, I have not figured out at all how to set that in a way that VLC will recognize it for the Publisher field.

The official Matroska tag for publisher is “PUBLISHER” (all caps). If you change your use of “Publisher” to “PUBLISHER” it does appear in VLC as expected.

> Artist, Album, and Genre work just fine from the XML.
>
> Does anyone know how to set the Publisher?
>
> And furthermore, is there a way to tell MKV to set the title from the XML that already has it?

I suggest using the mkvpropedit command you listed to set the Title.

[…]

Best Regards,
Dave Rice