[Matroska-users] Metadata

Alice Wonder alice at domblogger.net
Thu Feb 16 00:40:24 CET 2017

I've known of Matroska for awhile, but only started recently using it to
author multimedia files.

I must say that it looks conceptually to be very powerful, but I am
having trouble figuring out metadata.

I don't know if this is a VLC thing or a MKV thing.

I'm creating videos from short audio clips, the purpose of which is to
embed subtitles in a variety of languages for people who need or want
them. I know I can just do that with .mka as well, but I can script
ImageMagick to make frames that have some visual stimulation to go with
the audio too.

The version of VLC I am testing with to play the files is 2.2.4 on Linux
(CentOS 7).

When I add the metadata, I create an XML file with the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE Tags SYSTEM "matroskatags.dtd">
<Tags>
   <Tag>
     <Targets>
       <TargetTypeValue>50</TargetTypeValue>
     </Targets>
     <Simple>
       <Name>TITLE</Name>
       <String>Tease, Delay, and Denial</String>
     </Simple>
     <Simple>
       <Name>ARTIST</Name>
       <String>Mistress Cooper</String>
     </Simple>
     <Simple>
       <Name>ALBUM</Name>
       <String>Cooper’s Sample Audios</String>
     </Simple>
     <Simple>
       <Name>GENRE</Name>
       <String>Erotic Audio</String>
     </Simple>
     <Simple>
       <Name>Publisher</Name>
       <String>LDW Group, Inc.</String>
     </Simple>
   </Tag>
</Tags>

I add it to the MKV container with the following:

mkvmerge -o output.mkv --global-tags file.xml tmp.mkv

That seems to work except for the title and publisher.

I can set the title with

mkvpropedit output.mkv --edit info --set "title=Whatever"

however it is not set from the import of the XML file, not in a way that
VLC will identify it.

As for the Publisher, I have not figured out at all how to set that in a
way that VLC will recognize it for the Publisher field.

Artist, Album, and Genre work just fine from the XML.

Does anyone know how to set the Publisher?

And furthermore, is there a way to tell MKV to set the title from the
XML that already has it?

Thank you for any suggestions.

VLC is really all I am worried about, that is the player that is player
we recommend for playing files because it is widely available for every
platform.

If it matters, I do just about everything on CentOS 7.

My mkvtoolnix is a bit dated, I tried building recent but I need a newer
gcc suite and honestly, I think I'll just wait until CentOS 8 for that.
I don't think that is the issue.

Thank you for your time, and thank you for a multimedia container format
that actually makes sense :)