[Matroska-users] MKVToolNix v11.0.0 released
moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Apr 22 17:42:04 CEST 2017
Here's release v11.0.0 of MKVToolNix. There have been several important
bug fixes to the HEVC/h.265 and AVC/h.265 parsers. Among the fixed bugs
are some that will silently produce invalid files. I therefore recommend
everyone to update.
This release includes a couple of smaller enhancements to the GUI as
well. Noteworthy is the implementation of features that have been
requested several in the past: playing a sound or shutting down the
computer after the current job's been completed. The implementation is
very flexible and not limited to those two actions, though.
There have been several changes the package maintainers should be
aware of. See the section "build system changes" below for details.
Here are the usual links:
…to the source code: http://mkvtoolnix.download/source.html
…to the binaries: http://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html
The Windows and macOS binaries have already been built and
uploaded. Linux binaries are still being built and will be available
Here's the NEWS since the previous release:
# Version 11.0.0 "Alive" 2017-04-22
## New features and enhancements
* mkvmerge: FLAC reader: added support for handling embedded pictures as
attachments. Implements #1942.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: merged pull request #1804 adding support for parsing
the "COLR" atom and including its values as track headers.
* MKVToolNix GUI: watch jobs: the user can now have the GUI execute an action
once as soon as the current job or the whole queue finishes. The actions are
the same ones that can be configured to be run automatically after job or
* MKVToolNix GUI: implemented several built-in actions that can be executed
either on special events or once via the "watch jobs" tool. These are:
playing an audio file (implemented for all operating systems); hibernating,
sleeping and shutting down the computer (only implemented for Windows and
for Linux systems using systemd).
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplex tool: added a new option for what to do after
starting to multiplex/adding to the job queue: "close current settings" will
close the current multiplex settings without opening new ones.
## Bug fixes
* mkvmerge: AAC parser: fixed mis-detection of certain data as valid ADTS AAC
headers resulting in memory allocation failures. Fixes #1941.
* mkvmerge: AVC/h.264 parser: mkvmerge will now ignore bogus timing
information in the sequence parameter sets (values indicating more than
100000 progressive frames per second). Fixes #1946.
* mkvmerge: AVC/h.264 & HEVC/h.265 parsers: all trailing zero bytes will now
be removed from NALUs. Fixes #1952.
* mkvmerge: HEVC/h.265 parser: fixed copying the `bitstream_restriction_flag`
and all dependent fields in the VUI parameters of the sequence parameter
sets. Fixes #1924.
* mkvmerge: HEVC/h.265 parser: fixed the calculation of the number of
parameter set arrays in the HEVCC data structure stored in
CodecPrivate. Fixes the video-related part of #1938.
* mkvmerge: HEVC/h.265 parser: fixed writing superfluous and uninitialized
bytes at the end of the HEVCC data structure stored in CodecPrivate. Another
fix for the video-related part of #1938.
* mkvmerge: HEVC/h.265 parser: fixed the assumption that the HEVCC data
structure always includes arrays for all parameter set types (VPS, SPS, PPS
and SEI), and that the order is always VPS → SPS → PPS → SEI. Instead now
only the arrays actually present are parsed, and they can be in any order.
This fixes mkvinfo's output for Matroska files created from files such as
the one from #1938.
* mkvmerge: AVC/h.264 packetizer: when reading a framed track (e.g. from
Matroska or MP4 files), specifying a default duration as fields (e.g. `50i`)
would result in double the actual duration for each frame and the track's
default duration header field. Fixes #1916.
* mkvmerge: Matroska reader: invalid track language elements are now treated as
if they were set to `und` = "undetermined". See #1929 for context.
* mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader, AAC: mkvmerge will now require five consecutive
AAC headers with identical parameters before track type determination is
considered valid. This avoids false positives and consequently wrong track
parameters. Fixes the audio-related part of #1938.
* mkvmerge: fixed an endless loop in certain circumstances when splitting by
`parts` or `parts-frames` and the start of the file is discarded. Fixes
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer tool: the "show command line" dialog will no
longer include the mkvmerge executable's location as the first argument for
the two "MKVToolNix option files" escape modes. Fixes #1949.
* MKVToolNix GUI, header editor: empty track language elements are now treated
the same as those set to invalid ISO 639-2 codes: as if they were set to
`und` = "undetermined". See #1929 for context.
## Build system changes
* bug fix: configure now looks for the `strings` binary by using the
`AC_CHECK_TOOL()` autoconf macro. That way it will be found in multiarch
setups, too. Fixes #1923.
* bug fix: the environment variable USER_CXXFLAGS was accidentally removed
from the compiler flags in release 9.8.0. It's been re-added. Fixes #1925.
* The `.desktop` files have been renamed to
`org.bunkus.mkvtoolnix-gui.desktop` and `org.bunkus.mkvinfo.desktop`. This
allows Wayland compositors to associate the correct icons with running
applications for e.g. task switchers. Fixes #1948.
* Qt's multimedia component is required for compilation of the GUIs since
Have fun :)
More information about the Matroska-users