[Matroska-users] MKVToolNix v9.7.1 released
moritz at bunkus.org
Tue Dec 27 23:32:45 CET 2016
here's v9.7.1, a hotfix for v9.7.0, which in turn was a more
substantial release. There were a lot of enhancements to the GUI all
over the place, several bug fixes in mkvmerge, a couple of
enhancements there, too.
Note that this release deprecates the options
(e.g. "--identify-verbose") and features. These are scheduled to be
removed early in 2018. See the first top-most entry in the ChangeLog
below for details.
Notes for package maintainers: MKVToolNix now requires a compiler that
supports certain features of the C++14 standard. For gcc v4.9.x or
later will work, for clang v3.4 or newer is required. Additionally Qt
v5.3.x is now required.
Here are the usual links:
…to the source code: http://mkvtoolnix.download/source.html
…to the binaries: http://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html
The Windows and Mac OS binaries have been built already and are
available for download. The Linux binaries will be available later
Here's the ChangeLog sincee v9.6.0:
2016-12-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* Released v9.7.1 "Pandemonium".
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplex tool bug fix: under certain
circumstances the GUI was creating invalid JSON files when
starting to multiplex resulting in an error message ("JSON option
files must contain a JSON array consisting solely of JSON
* Released v9.7.0 "Numbers".
* Deprecation warning: Several options and features are now
deprecated and will be removed at the start of 2018. These are:
- mkvmerge: the options "--identify-verbose", "--identify-for-gui",
"--identify-for-mmg" and "--identification-format verbose". Please
convert existing users of these interfaces to use mkvmerge's JSON
identification output which can be invoked with
"--identification-format json --identify …".
- all command line tools: the old, proprietary format used for
option files. Please convert users of this interface to the new
JSON option file format introduced in this release.
- all command line tools: the option "--check-for-updates" (the
GUI will keep its online check for updates, though). There is and
will be no equivalent interface in the tools themselves. Users of
this interface can switch to retrieving the information about
available updates directly from the MKVToolNix website. The
information is available as JSON and XML files at the following
2016-12-26 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: added a new track property in
JSON/verbose identification mode called "multiplexed_tracks". It's
an array of track IDs that describe which of the tracks mkvmerge
reports as separate ones were originally part of the same source
track (e.g. TrueHD+AC-3 in a single track in MPEG transport
streams). Implements #1835.
2016-12-23 James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com>
* mkvmerge: added support for skipping APE(v2) tags in TTA files.
2016-12-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvextract: enhancement: added support for reporting progress in
--gui-mode the same way mkvmerge does.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: when using --track-order without specifying
all tracks, the track numbers could end up in a way the user did
not expect. Now mkvmerge will always assign track numbers for
those tracks that are listed in --track-order first. The other
tracks are assigned numbers afterwards. Fixes the second part of
* mkvmerge: bug fix: when reading Matroska files the movie title
was always taken from the first Matroska source file, even if that
file didn't have a title set. Fixes one part of #1832.
2016-12-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* all: new feature: all command line tools can now read
JSON-formatted option files. Such a file's name must have an
extension of ".json" (e.g. "mkvmerge @options.json"). Its content
must be a valid JSON array consisting solely of JSON strings.
2016-12-17 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* build system: building the GUI components of MKVToolNix now
requires Qt v5.3.0 or newer.
2016-12-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: header editor & job output enhancement: added
menu entries for saving or closing all open tabs.
2016-12-13 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor enhancement: added menu entries
for saving or closing all open tabs.
* build system: MKVToolNix now requires a compiler that supports
the following features of the C++14 standard:
"std::make_unique()", "digit separators", "binary literals" and
"generic lambdas". For the GNU Compiler Collection (gcc) this
means v4.9.x or newer; for clang it means v3.4 or newer.
2016-12-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: MPEG TS/MPLS reader improvements: added support for
subtitle tracks that are referenced from the MPLS file as
sub-paths in other M2TS files than the main tracks.
2016-12-08 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: re-worked the startup code not to use lock files
when trying to open a socket for communicating with an
already-running instance. This aims to prevent situations with
stale lock files not being cleaned up and the GUI not starting
anymore as a result. This might fix or prevent issues like #1805.
* mkvmerge: teletext subtitle bug fix: fixed the handling of DVB
teletext subtitles signaled with data unit ID 0x02 and that
contain pages from multiple magazines.
2016-12-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer enhancement: the file identification
process has been re-written to be properly multi-threaded. This
allows the user to continue working with the GUI while
e.g. playlists from a Blu-ray are identified.
2016-12-03 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: mkvmerge can now handle Blu-ray playlists
from the "BACKUP" sub-directory of a Blu-ray disc.
* MKVToolNix GUI: new multiplexer feature: added a menu entry for
copying the title to the destination file name. It will replace
the destination file's base name but keep its path & extension.
* MKVToolNix GUI: new multiplexer feature: all positive file
identification results will now be cached between runs. This
speeds up adding the same file a lot, especially when scanning the
same Blu-ray playlists again. Cached results are invalidated
automatically with newer MKVToolNix releases or when the source
2016-12-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer enhancement: when the user tries to
add one of the main Blu-ray index files (index.bdmv,
MovieObject.bdmv) the GUI will automatically scan the Blu-ray
playlist files and offer them for selection.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: files smaller than 4 bytes were wrongly
identified as MPEG transport streams.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer enhancement: tracks, chapters, tags,
attachments not selected for multiplexing will be displayed the
same way as other disabled controls. Implements #1819.
2016-11-30 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the MPEG transport stream reader was using an
outdated format for the "CodecPrivate" element for HDMV TextST
subtitles. This has been updated to the current format which only
contains the "dialog style element".
Existing Matroska files using this outdated scheme can be fixed by
running them through mkvmerge v9.6.0 itself or any later release
as the old format is automatically converted to the new one when
it is read from Matroska files.
Have fun :)
More information about the Matroska-users