[Matroska-users] mktoolnix v7.9.0 mmg bug

Yaroslav Panych panych.y at gmail.com
Mon May 11 00:46:15 CEST 2015

Hello, mkvtoolnix developer(s)

Recently downloaded new version(7.9.0) of mkvtoolnix, run GUI (mmg) and
instantly discovered pretty unexpected bug. mmg does not run, OS show
message "The procedure entry point RegGetValueA could not be located in the
dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll".

ADVAPI32.dll is Windows OS system library which provides access to Advanced
API syscalls, including access to Registry.
RegGetValueA/RegGetValueW - syscall which performs read of registry values.

So unexpected this bug were(for me), equally easy it can be solved.
And here is a problem: RegGetValue syscall is new syscall, available since
Windows Vista and Windows XP x64. It is not available on Windows XP 32 bit,
which is happened to be my OS.

So cause of this bug is simple: one of libraries uses that nasty
syscall(other used by mmg.exe binary syscalls are available on XP).
Solution is even more simple: rebuild binaries against correctly configure
Windows SDK environment(i.e. use #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0501 in sources,
where 0x0501 corresponds Windows XP API, now used 0x0600 - Vista).

Read-more on MSDN:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/ru-ru/library/windows/desktop/ms724868.aspx

Please fix it. For now I can use only v7.7.0.

PS: I probably can rebuild it for myself, but for now I cannot recommend
binaries from original source for anybody(70% of PC can run Windows XP
only).

Best regards,
Yaroslav