[Matroska-users] MKVToolNix v8.7.0 released
moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Dec 31 14:15:26 CET 2015
here's the last release for this year: 8.7.0. This release contains a
more even mix of bug fixes and enhancements. One area that has
received special attention is the HEVC/h.265 code where multiple
issues have been fixed. I strongly urge everyone to upgrade if you're
dealing with HEVC/h.265 in Matroska.
The enhancements and new features include:
✓ a reworked preferences dialog in the GUI
✓ a rather flexible method of running arbitrary programs after the GUI
has finished a job or the whole queue
✓ more items output in verbose & JSON identification modes
✓ more options for dealing with attachments and track statistics tags
I've also decided to revert the change to writing byte order marks
(BOMs) for UTF-8 encoded files that was introduced in the last
release. This was due to user feedback. A common workflow is to
extract subtitles to an extern file, to edit them somehow and to mux
the back. On Windows this became annoying without BOMs: the extracted
text files are UTF-8, but mkvmerge defaults to Windows' own locale
when reading text files – unless a BOM is found.
Another change I've reverted due to user feedback is the removal of
several ISO 639-2 codes for very old languages. Certain users have
used those codes to indicate variations to the default language, and
the earlier removal broke this workflow.
Nothing has changed for package maintainers compared to v8.6.1.
Here are the usual links:
…to the source code: http://mkvtoolnix.download/source.html
…to the binaries: http://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html
The Windows and Mac OS binaries are available. Most of the Linux
binaries are still being built and will be available in a couple of
Here's the full ChangeLog since v8.6.1:
2015-12-31 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* Released v8.7.0.
2015-12-30 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed the handling of a PES size of 0 ( =
unknown). Tracks whose PES packets had such a size were sometimes
not detected at all, and even if they were their content was
incomplete. Fixes #1553.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: made the MPEG 1/2 video elementary stream
file type recognition more resilient and more flexible dropping
the requirement for a file to start with an MPEG start code (0x00
00 01). Fixes #1462.
* mkvpropedit: bug fix: when changing the track language it is now
verified to be a valid ISO 639-2 language code before writing it
to the file. Fixes #1550.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: the MP4 reader will keep the display
dimensions from the track header atom ("tkhd") and use them as the
display width & height. See also #1547.
2015-12-29 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: the "add source files"
button now has optional popup menu containing actions for
adding/appending files and adding files as additional parts for
easier discovery of those actions. This popup is only shown if the
user clicks on the arrow shown on the right of the button.
* mkvmerge: new feature: TrueHD tracks that contain Dolby Atmos
will be identified as "TrueHD Atmos". Implements #1519.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the Matroska reader now uses TrueHD-specific
code when reading Matroska files. This can fix things like wrong
frame type flags.
2015-12-28 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: MP4 edit lists of certain types (two entries,
first entry's media_time is -1, second entry's segment_duration is
!= 0) weren't handled properly resulting in key frame flags being
assigned to the wrong frames. Fixes #1547.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the h.265/HEVC code was writing SEI NALUs
twice. This had already been mentioned in #1076 but never
fixed. Patch by Vladimír Pilný.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the h.265/HEVC code wasn't converting slice
NALUs to RBSP form before parsing it resulting in wrongly
timestamped frames under certain conditions. This is a similar fix
to the issues reported in #918 and #1548.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the h.264/AVC code wasn't converting slice
NALUs to RBSP form before parsing it resulting in wrongly
timestamped frames under certain conditions. Fixes #918 and #1548.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the MP4 reader can now understand the 'random
access point' sample grouping information for marking open GOP
random access points as key frames. Fixes #1543.
2015-12-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed the decisions whether or not to write
the last frame of a track as a BlockGroup or a SimpleBlock and
whether or not to write a block duration for that frame. Fixes
* MKVToolNix GUI: new merge tool feature: added menu options in
the "Merge" menu for copying either the first source file's name
or the current output file's name into the "file title" control.
2015-12-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvpropedit: new feature: added an option for calculating
statistics for all tracks and adding new/updating existing
statistics tags in a file. Second half of the implementation of
2015-12-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the progress calculation was sometimes
outputting negative numbers when appending Matroska files whose
timestamps don't start at 0 (e.g. if they were created by
splitting with linking enabled). In the the GUI this resulted in
lines like "#GUI#progress -2%" in the job's output.
* mkvpropedit: new feature: added an option for removing all
existing track statistics tags from a file. Part of the
implementation of #1507.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: AAC with low sampling frequencies was
sometimes mis-detected with the wrong profile preventing appending
it to other AAC tracks. Fixes #1540.
2015-12-17 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: chapters were output as both "chapters" and
"track_tags" in JSON identification mode. Fixes #1538.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: added the container's internal track ID
as the "number" attribute in verbose & JSON identification modes
for several container types (QuickTime/MP4: the track ID from the
'tkhd' atom; MPEG program stream: the sub-stream ID in the upper
32 bits and the stream ID in the lower 32 bits; MPEG transport
stream: the program ID; Ogg/OGM: the stream's serial number field;
RealMedia: the track ID). Implements #1541.
2015-12-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix: the "split mode" drop-down box got
reset to "do not split" each time the preferences dialog was
closed with the "OK" button. Fixes #1539.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: if JSON identification mode is active
then warnings and errors will be output as JSON as well. They're
output as arrays of strings as the keys "warnings" and "errors" of
the main JSON object. Implements #1537.
* all: reversion of a change: several ISO 639-2 codes of languages
that are very old and not spoken anymore have been re-added
(e.g. "English, Middle (1100-1500)") due to feedback from users
who did have a use for such codes.
* all: reversion of a change: all of the tools will write a byte-order
mark (BOM) to text files encoded any of the UTF-* schemes
again. This reverts the change in release 8.6.0 due to user
feedback preferring the old way.
2015-12-12 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvpropedit: enhancement: when using --add-attachment,
--replace-attachment or --update-attachment the UID can be changed
with --attachment-uid. See #1532.
* mkvpropedit: new feature: added an option "--update-attachment"
for updating the properties of existing attachments without
replacing their content. Implements #1532.
2015-12-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: added options for running arbitrary
programs after a job has finished or after the queue has
finished. Implements #1406.
2015-12-09 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: if files are dragged &
dropped from an external application with the right mouse button
being pressed then the GUI will always ask the user what to do
with the files even if the user has configured the GUI not to
ask. Implements #1508.
* MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: when starting the GUI with a saved
settings file then the GUI won't contain an empty tab in the merge
tool anymore. Fixes #1504.
2015-12-08 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed the key frame detection for VP9 video
* MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix: relative file names given on the
command line were interpreted as being relative to the user's home
directory. Fixes #1534.
2015-12-01 Moritz Bunkus <m.bunkus at linet-services.de>
* MKVToolNix GUI: the preferences dialog has been reworked heavily
in order to provide a better overview and to be less overwhelming.
Have fun :)
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Matroska-users