[Matroska-users] Question about duration

Dan Hinsley danhi at cox.net
Thu Jan 10 01:17:24 CET 2013

I've tried to figure this out, but I'm getting nowhere.  Turns out a
freeware tool out there (MakeMKV) doesn't include the endtimes for chapters.
So I'm trying to handle that and thought it would be easy, just use the
start of the next chapter and when I get to the last chapter use the
duration.  However, for the life of me I can't figure out how to decode
duration.

I have a file with one segment, and no TimecodeScale in the Info segment.
In the info segment there is a Duration element with a value of 0x48185800.
When I run mkvinfo on the file, I get a duration of 156 seconds (which is
correct).  Now the way that I read the spec is that the duration (with a
default TimecodeScale of 1,000,000) should be the duration in msecs.  So I
can't figure out how to get from 1,209,554,944 to 156.

I know I'm missing something basic, but after beating my head against a wall
all morning, I'm no closer.  Can you give me a hint as to what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Dan

A politician thinks of the next election, a statesman, of the next
generation.

- James Freeman Clarke