[Matroska-users] mkvalidate should validate the CodecPrivate value

Eric Valette Eric.Valette at Free.fr
Fri Sep 30 11:08:55 CEST 2011

On 09/29/2011 09:40 PM, Steve Lhomme wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Eric Valette<eric.valette at free.fr>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have mkv files generated by tvheadend that do play well using ffplay, vlc
>> or xbmc but that fails using any hardware DMP. I used mkvalidate to find
>> possible errors but discovered using mkvinfo that one of the major problem
>> is that the CodecPrivate field used for V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC contains only
>> garbage.
>
> Yes that would be nice. There are already some codec specific
> processing happening. I am not planning to add that soon, but I put
> that on my TODO.
>
> Of course patches are always welcome.
>
>> mkvclean or mkvmerge could also fix it while remuxing ;-)
>
> Fixing bogus data is a bit harder to achieve.

I guess mkvmerge does contain code to rebuild broken CodecPrivate as
mkvextrack with the fullraw option output a correct CodecPrivate even if
the mkv one is corrupted. Also the now available TS input in mkvmerge
does a good job.

I have plenty of buggy mkv created by tvheadend and desesperately seek
and automated way to fix them but haven'nt found one so far.

-- eric