[Matroska-users] How to concatenate segments?

Stefan Lederer ledererstefan at gmx.at
Fri Jun 3 09:25:09 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have a somehow similar problem: I work on DASH(dynamic adaptive streaming
over http), which currently works with segmented iso base media files (mp4,
3gp). For DASH the videos are available in multiple quality levels
(bitrates) and are split into small segments of a few seconds. So it is
possible to switch the quality during playback if the bandwidth of the
client changes.

I now want to integrate matroska in this system.

> That's because VLC was made to work with concatenated Segments (ie
> whole files) unlike MPlayer. Haali's splitter on windows should be
> able to do that as well.

I already tested it with segmetned matroska using VLC with a new DASH Module
and it works quite good. But unfortunately the output window closes and
opens again (on linux) or flickers (on windows). This behavior is quite
annoying for the user because it happens for each segment (which is about 2
sec. long). Is there any passivity to get rid of this re-initialization of
the VLC output to get a smooth playback?

Thx for help!

Stefan
University Klagenfurt