[Matroska-users] Question on ReplayGain tags

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sat Feb 12 10:00:12 CET 2011

Yes the values are according to [2] as implied in the specs by the
link to http://www.replaygain.org/

I'm not too thrilled to change the meaning in the specs just because
one player decided to go its way without looking at the specs. At the
very least foobar2000 should store the value in another tag than the
ones that are clearly specified as binary. Also it seems the binary
format offers many more information than just "+9.65 dB" for example
if the gain was specified in the studio, by a user, etc.

We are going to introduce a new Matroska v3 (ie put 3 in the header)
to get rid of legacies like that (and add new things). I suggest the
foobar2k dev check this value and store it in binary from now on in v3
files. So they can tell between current and future files the meaning
of the REPLAYGAIN_GAIN and REPLAYGAIN_PEAK tag values.

Steve

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 5:31 AM, Johannes Weißl <jargon at molb.org> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a question on the replaygain tags in Matroska. The documentation [1]
> states that the type of REPLAYGAIN_GAIN and REPLAYGAIN_PEAK is "binary".
> Does this mean that the value should be stored according to the Replay
> Gain Data Format [2]? I don't know if that makes much sense, since this
> format encodes a "name", which is redundant since Matroska has something
> similar using TargetType. The only existing program I could find which
> writes those tags is foobar2000, and it stores the values as UTF-8 text
> (e.g. "+9.65 dB").
>
> [1] http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html
> [2] http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/rg_data_format.html
>

> Greetings,