[Matroska-users] Question on ReplayGain tags

Johannes Weißl jargon at molb.org
Thu Feb 10 05:31:28 CET 2011

Hello list,

I have a question on the replaygain tags in Matroska. The documentation [1]
states that the type of REPLAYGAIN_GAIN and REPLAYGAIN_PEAK is "binary".
Does this mean that the value should be stored according to the Replay
Gain Data Format [2]? I don't know if that makes much sense, since this
format encodes a "name", which is redundant since Matroska has something
similar using TargetType. The only existing program I could find which
writes those tags is foobar2000, and it stores the values as UTF-8 text
(e.g. "+9.65 dB").

[1] http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html
[2] http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/rg_data_format.html

Greetings,