[Matroska-users] mkvtoolnix 4.5.0 released
m.bunkus at linet-services.de
Tue Feb 1 09:51:36 CET 2011
I've released mkvtoolnix v4.5.0. It contains a lot of bug fixes as well
as a couple of new features and a few enhancements.
There are two important changes for package maintainers:
1. mmg's guide is now installed into the $docdir location ("--docdir"
option to configure) instead of $datadir/mkvtoolnix. This usually means
/usr/share/doc/mkvtoolnix/guide/... instead of
/usr/share/mkvtoolnix/guide... As the guide was the only thing installed
in $datadir/mkvtoolnix that directory is not needed anymore.
2. mkvtoolnix requires libebml 1.2.0 and libmatroska 1.1.0 for
compilation. Both have been released a few days ago. However, starting
with this release mkvtoolnix includes the source of libebml and
libmatroska. configure will still try to find globally installed copies
of libebml and libmatroska like before and use them if they're recent
enough. If they're not then configure will fall back to using the
This breaks in certain cases. If CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/LDFLAGS contain
include/library path directives to directories containing older versions
of libebml/libmatroska then configure will correctly say it'll use its
internal copies of libebml/libmatroska but compilation will fail (due to
the order in which CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/LDFLAGS etc are passed to gcc). I
plan to fix this for the next release. For the time being it should be
enough NOT to specify include/library paths with any of these
environment variables. Then you can even leave older copies installed
and compilation will work.
Old libs in /usr/include/ebml /usr/include/matroska is OK.
Old libs in e.g. /opt/libebml /opt/libmatroska and configuring with
CFLAGS="-I/opt/libebml -I/opt/libmatroska" LDFLAGS="..." ./configure
Here are the usual links...
...to the home page:
...to the source code:
...to the Windows installer and 7zip archive:
All binaries that I provide myself have already been uploaded.
Here's the full ChangeLog since release 4.4.0:
2011-01-31 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* Released v4.5.0.
* build: Building mkvtoolnix now requires libebml v1.2.0 and
libmatroska v1.1.0 or later.
* build: enhancement: mkvtoolnix now includes libebml and
libmatroska. The configure script will use them if either no
installed versions of them is found or if the installed version is
2011-01-25 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed an infinite loop when reading program
stream maps in MPEG program streams. Part of a fix for bug 589.
2011-01-21 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvinfo: new feature: Added an option "--track-info" (short:
"-t") that displays one-line statistics about each track at the
end of the output. The statistics include the track's total size,
duration, approximate bitrate and number of packets/frames.
* mkvinfo: bug fix: The hexdump mode was accessing invalid memory
if the data to dump was shorter than 16 bytes. It was also
outputting the values as characters instead of hexadecimal
numbers. Patch by ykar at list.ru. Fix for bug 591.
2011-01-20 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: The output file name extension is
automatically set to ".mk3d" if the stereo mode parameter for any
video track is changed to anything else than "mono" or the default
* mmg: enhancement: Added ".mk3d" to the list of known file name
extensions for Matroska files.
* mkvmerge, mmg: enhancement: Updated the "stereo mode" parameter
to match the current Matroska specifications.
2010-12-26 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: If mkvmerge encounters invalid UTF-8
strings in certain files or command line arguments then those
strings will simply be cut short. Before mkvmerge was exiting with
an error ("Invalid UTF-8 sequence encountered").
* all: new feature: Added online update checks. The command line
tools know a new parameter "--check-for-updates". mmg has a new
menu entry ("Help" -> "Check for updates") and checks
automatically when it starts, but at most once in 24 hours. Can be
turned off in the preferences. This function requires libcurl and
is not built if libcurl is not available.
2010-12-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Avoid a crash due to invalid memory access if
a source file name contains numbers (happens only if mkvtoolnix is
built with MS Visual Studio). Fix for bug 585.
2010-12-21 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for reading VP8 video from
Ogg files. Implements bug 584.
* mkvextract: enhancement: mkvextract will exit with an error if
the user specifies track IDs that do not exist in the source
file. This works in the "tracks" and "timecodes_v2" extraction
modes. Fix for bug 583.
* docs: mkvextract's man page has been updated to match the
program's expected command line syntax for the "timecodes_v2"
mode. Fix for bug 583.
2010-12-20 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* build system: Fixed building the Qt version of mkvinfo's
GUI. Fix for bug 576.
* mkvmerge, mmg: bug fix: Option files could not contain options
that started with '#' as they were interpreted as comment lines.
2010-11-15 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: The "default duration" header field is
set for DTS audio tracks.
2010-11-09 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* build system: mmg's guide and its images are installed into the
location given by configure's "docdir" variable. Patch by Cristian
Morales Vega (see AUTHORS).
2010-11-07 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* all: Made the French translation selectable in all programs.
2010-11-01 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: On Mac OS X the application type is set to a
foreground application preventing issues like the GUI never
If Darl McBride was in charge, he'd probably make marriage
unconstitutional too, since clearly it de-emphasizes the commercial
nature of normal human interaction, and probably is a major impediment
to the commercial growth of prostitution. - Linus Torvalds
More information about the Matroska-users