[Matroska-users] Requesting help with Matroska Tags

Sat Aug 20 23:01:44 CEST 2011

Am 20.08.2011 19:07, schrieb Matthew Heaney:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Sebastian G. <bastik>
> <bastik.public.mailinglist at gmx.de> wrote:
>> I can't help you with your questions.
>
> OK.  I was just looking for technical info about how Matroska tags
> work.  The spec doesn't give me enough detail to figure it out.

I hope Steve Lhomme or Moritz Bunkus aka "Mosu" can help you with it.

>> Google picked matroska and stripped features from it. To make
>> support easier, I guess. This includes subtitles and tags.
>
> Right, and I was on the team that picked MKV as the basis for
> WebM.

Oh, you are form Google. I like the decision. Since you work for them
it all makes more sense.

> We didn't include metadata at the time, but we are now in the
> process of revising the WebM spec, to support some form of
> metadata.

That's fine.

>> So whenever you store tags in WebM they might get ignored,
>> because all filters, which are working close to the specs of WebM
>> are not looking for them.
>
> Right, up until now there has been no official support for
> metadata. We are in the design phase of metadata support.

Chrome (also Google driven) can be updated easily and Firefox will
follow to support the new specs.

>> As far as I know there's noting that converts existing tags into
>> matroska tags. That would be still useful. For .mka, .mkv and
>> .mk3d
>
> I was mostly interested in technical information, and examples of
> actual files that use tags, in order to figure out how the tagging
> system in Matroska works.  If you can point me to anything like
> that, that would be helpful.

The only sample I can point to is the official sample. I have seen
tagged matroska files, but can't remember them or name them. I also
don't know if those files have been tagged correctly.

http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/example-video.html

Tags can be viewed with MKVinfo (from MKVtoolnix, created by Mosu) or
recent versions of MediaInfo. Note that I did not check if MediaInfo
got all tags. I guess that MKVinfo has been tested.

I don't know any player (soft or hardware) that cares about matroska
tags. Adding tags to matroska files (or creating these tags) is not
that easy and therefore mostly only added by professional (which care)
or enthusiasts. I hope that will change.

>> Support for metadata would be nice, but might violate the specs.
>
> And right now, we are in the process of amending the WebM spec.

Good, don't know if youtube will pick it up. Well then they could.

>> As I heard Google releases a new format based on matroska I
>> thought the would keep subtitles, chapters and tags. Would be
>> useful for TED talks and such stuff.
>
> If you have any particular metadata needs, please let us know.
> You can file a bug report here, to request anything you want:
>
> http://www.webmproject.org/code/bug-reporting/
>
> You can also email me directly:
>
> <mailto:matthewjheaney at google.com>

I consider that.

>> I hope somebody can help you with this.

I hope the same.

> Thanks, Matt

Thanks to you.

Regards, bastik

20 Aug 2011, 23:01 (+0200)

- --
Impurities make things work and sometimes unique.
Matroska - Your free and open container format.