[Matroska-users] Requesting help with Matroska Tags

Matthew Heaney matthewjheaney at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 19:07:09 CEST 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Sebastian G. <bastik>
<bastik.public.mailinglist at gmx.de> wrote:
> I can't help you with your questions.

OK.  I was just looking for technical info about how Matroska tags
work.  The spec doesn't give me enough detail to figure it out.

> Google picked matroska and stripped features from it.
> To make support
> easier, I guess. This includes subtitles and tags.

Right, and I was on the team that picked MKV as the basis for WebM.

We didn't include metadata at the time, but we are now in the process
of revising the WebM spec, to support some form of metadata.

> So whenever you
> store tags in WebM they might get ignored, because all filters, which
> are working close to the specs of WebM are not looking for them.

Right, up until now there has been no official support for metadata.
We are in the design phase of metadata support.

> As far as I know there's noting that converts existing tags into
> matroska tags. That would be still useful. For .mka, .mkv and .mk3d

I was mostly interested in technical information, and examples of
actual files that use tags, in order to figure out how the tagging
system in Matroska works.  If you can point me to anything like that,
that would be helpful.

> Support for metadata would be nice, but might violate the specs.

And right now, we are in the process of amending the WebM spec.

> As I heard Google releases a new format based on matroska I thought
> the would keep subtitles, chapters and tags. Would be useful for TED
> talks and such stuff.

If you have any particular metadata needs, please let us know.  You
can file a bug report here, to request anything you want:

http://www.webmproject.org/code/bug-reporting/

You can also email me directly:

<mailto:matthewjheaney at google.com>

> I hope somebody can help you with this.