[Matroska-users] mkvtoolnix 3.4.0 released

Mike Castle dalgoda+matroska at gmail.com
Fri May 21 06:36:40 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Steve Dibb <beandog at gentoo.org> wrote:
> If you don't mind me asking, what's the scenario where you need to
> encode to AVI first?

I have a cut off point where, if the track is small (trailer, deleted
scenes, etc), I don't reencode the stream.  Otherwise, I reencode the
stream to something smaller to save space.

When I first created the tool for doing this, I wasn't aware that
mencoder could create mkv (maybe it couldn't then, don't remember).
So, avi it was.  Mostly, it was an output format that mencoder could
create and mkvmerge could read.  No greater choice than that.

Actually, I just tried the following:

mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -of lavf -lavfopts format=matroska -o
a.mkv 3.4.0-sync-bug.vob

and the resulting MKV is worthless as the audio is all messed up.  But
then, it is listed as beta code in the man page.

mrc