[Matroska-users] mkvtoolnix 4.0.0 released
moritz at bunkus.org
Sat Jun 5 21:14:52 CEST 2010
I've released mkvtoolnix v4.0.0. This release features full support for
the WebM variant of the Matroska container format, VP8 video tracks, the
IVF container format. It also contains a new translation into Dutch.
There are two changes for package maintainers: 1. the new translation
I've mentioned and 2. mkvtoolnix requires the new releases libebml
v1.0.0 and libmatroska v1.0.0 available at http://dl.matroska.org Both
libraries are not binary-compatible with earlier releases, but they're
Here are the usual links...
...to the home page:
...to the source code:
...to the Windows installer and 7zip archive:
All binaries that I provide myself have already been uploaded.
Here's the full ChangeLog since release 3.4.0:
2010-06-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* Released v4.0.0.
* build: Building mkvtoolnix now requires libebml v1.0.0 and
libmatroska v1.0.0 or later.
2010-06-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* all command line tools: bug fix: Fixed the output of eastern
languages like Japanese or Chinese under cmd.exe on Windows.
2010-06-03 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mmg: new feature: Added the estimated remaining time to the mux
and job dialogs.
2010-05-31 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* all: Added a translation of the programs into Dutch by René
Maassen (see AUTHORS).
2010-05-28 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvextract: feature removal: Removed support for extracting FLAC
tracks into Ogg FLAC files. Instead they're always written into
raw FLAC files. The option "--no-ogg" has been removed as well.
* mkvmerge: feature removal: Removed support for the FLAC library
older than v1.1.1.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed support for reading FLAC tracks from
Ogg files following the FLAC-in-Ogg-mapping established with FLAC
v1.1.1. Fix for bug 488.
2010-05-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: The "mkvmerge executable" input in the
preferences dialog is not read-only anymore. Final part of a fix
for bug 490.
* mmg: bug fix: mmg will output a warning if it is used with a
mkvmerge executable whose version differs from mmg's version. Part
of a fix for bug 490.
* mmg: bug fix: If adding a file fails mkvmerge's error message
will be shown in a scrollable dialog instead of a normal message
box. Part of a fix for bug 490.
* mmg: Added 'IVF' files to the list of known input file types.
* mkvmerge: Added support for reading IVF files with VP8 video
* mkvextract: Added support for extracting VP8 video tracks into
2010-05-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge, mkvinfo, mkvextract: bug fix: Fixed handling of
clusters missing a cluster timecode element.
* mkvinfo GUI: bug fix: Frames for simple blocks were shown at the
wrong place in the element tree.
2010-05-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge, mkvextract: Fixed handling of clusters with an unknown
2010-05-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvinfo: bug fix: Fixed handling clusters with an unknown size.
* mkvinfo: new feature: Added an option ("-z" / "--size") for
displaying each element's size property. Elements with an
unknown/infinite size are shown as "size is unknown".
2010-05-21 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mmg: new feature: Added a checkbox for enabling "WebM"
mode. This will also enable the same limitations that mkvmerge
enables: Only VP8 and Vorbis tracks, no chapters, no tags. The
output file name extension will be changed to ".webm" upon
enabling the mode.
2010-05-19 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: change: mkvmerge will not write track header elements
whose actual value equals their default value anymore.
2010-05-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Neither chapters nor tags will be written
to WebM compliant files. Warnings are issued if chapters or
tags are found and not disabled.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Matroska files without clusters are accepted
as valid input files again.
* mmg: enhancement: Added "WebM" with the extension "webm" to
the list of known file types.
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added support for muxing VP8 video
* mkvmerge: enhancement: mkvmerge will no longer put all clusters
into a meta seek element resulting in smaller file size. The
parameter "--no-clusters-in-meta-seek" has been renamed to
"--clusters-in-meta-seek" and its meaning reverted.
* mkvmerge: enhancement: WebM compatibility mode will be
turned on automatically if the output file name's extension is
'.webm', '.webma' or '.webmv'.
* mkvinfo GUI: enhancement: Added "webm" to the list of known file
name extensions for WebM files both for the "Open file" dialog
and the drag & drop support.
2010-05-17 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Added options "--webm"/"--web-media" that
enable the WebM compatibility mode. In this mode only Vorbis
audio tracks and VP8 video tracks are allowed. Neither chapters
nor tracks are allowed. The DocType element is set to "webm".
* mkvinfo GUI: bug fix: Opening more than one file without
restarting mkvinfo GUI could result in wrong timecodes due to
variables not being reinitialized.
2010-05-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* mkvinfo: bug fix: Binary elements shorter than 10 bytes were not
2010-05-15 Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
* Build system: bug fix: The man page installation process only
installed the English originals instead of the Japanese and
If Darl McBride was in charge, he'd probably make marriage
unconstitutional too, since clearly it de-emphasizes the commercial
nature of normal human interaction, and probably is a major impediment
to the commercial growth of prostitution. - Linus Torvalds
More information about the Matroska-users