[Matroska-users] matroska / ffmpeg / bitrate

startx startx at plentyfact.org
Tue Jul 13 14:37:04 CEST 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:35:48 +0200
Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org> wrote:

> Matroska doesn't store the bitrate information as it may change when
> editing the file (although such tools could theoretically update the
> bitrate info accordingly).

but isnt that true about any video container out there?
my problem is this: i want to store many videos in high quality dirac
(schroedinger) and of course i want to know what bitrate they had
later when i access the archive.

> It can be written as a tag, but noone supports reading or writing
> this info yet.

you mean as a tag in sense of a tag in the matroska xml file?
in fact i was thinking of doing this as a workaround.

what would that tag be? just
         <Simple>
            <Name>BITRATE</Name>
            <String>6670</String>