[Matroska-users] Newbie help please :)

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sun Jan 10 18:48:24 CET 2010

Hey,

On Sunday 10 January 2010 17:51:09 Henti Smith wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Beginning to make sense now. In my example all my
> input files will have a Track ID of 0,since I extract all the stream
> individually.
>
> So in my case I should be able to do the following :
>
> mkvmerge -o movie.mkv --title "Movie Name" --chapters file.chapters \
> --language 0:en --track-name "0:Movie (MPEG2)" --default-track 0:yes
> movie.avi  \
> --language 0:en --track-name "0:Main Audio (AC3)" --default-track 0:yes
> main.ac3 \
> --language 0:en --track-name "0:Directors Audio (AC3)" --default-track
> 0:no directors.ac3 \
> --language 0:en --track-name "0:English Subtitles" --default-track 0:no
> movie.vobsubs.idx

Yes, that should work.

Note that all but one instances of '--default-track' can be left out
without changing the outcome. This is due to how mkvmerge assigns the
'default track' flag: the first track found of each kind (video, audio,
subtitles, buttons) gets its flag set to 'on', all following tracks of
the same kind to 'off. For the .avi, the first ac3 and the second ac3
this matches your manual choices. Those three instances of
'--default-track' can be left out.

The '--default-track' for the subtitles file however is neccessary as it
is the first subtitle track -- mkvmerge would normally set the 'default
track' flag to 'on' for this one.

Regards,
Mosu