[Matroska-users] Bugs multiplexing large files?

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Wed Jan 20 20:55:50 CET 2010

I have used mkvtoolnix for years without major issues. However, a few days I
ran into a surprisingly nasty inconvenience and I wonder whether ti can be
remedied:

I am creating an h.264 avi files with ac3 audio using mencoder. I have done
so many times in the past. In the end I remultiplex it (using just using the
avi file and adding a chapter file) as I have always done. This worked
flawlessly in the past.

However, the files I am creating now are HD (1904x800 in this particular
case) and very large (5.8GB). Now mencoder creates these size AVI files
(OpenDML) just fine but I understand the AVI index can only accommodate 4GB
so they aren't very seekable.

Mkvmerge is normally kind enough to add its own index and everything is
wonderful.

However, it would appear that the AVI demultiplexer is not so smart. After
running it through the merge process I wind up with a 1GB file, no matter
what.

If I use mplayer's -dumpaudio and -dumpvideo and then multiplex this
together things wind up just fine, leading me to believe that the problem is
really the demultiplexer mkvmerge uses and its reliance on an index.

Is my observation correct? Is this something that could be registered as a
bug? I see there is a workaround but shuffling 10GB of files around is
pretty time-consuming.

/re