[Matroska-users] Encapsulating proprietary codec in matroska

Pushkar Pradhan pushkar at ipvideosys.com
Tue Oct 6 00:34:01 CEST 2009

Hello,
We have our own proprietary video codec and container format. We would like to convert our media files into matroska container format but retain our proprietary codec. I saw that matroska headers store the video/audio codec type e.g. V_MPEG1, V_MPEG2, A_AC3 that allows player to setup appropriate decoding filters.
Is there a generic V_PROPRIETARY or V_UNSPECIFIED tag that I can use?

Later we plan to write a decoder plugin for some generic tool like GStreamer that can transcode the media to standard codec like MP4.
Thanks,
pushkar