[Matroska-users] Extracting Subtitles

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Sun May 24 08:08:36 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Wijesiri Danthanarayana
<lbam at tpg.com.au>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to convert a .mkv file to  playable DVD movie. I have not
> found any software that can do this for Mac OS X.

Speaking as a Mac user, I feel your pain. Unfortunately, get set for a lot
of disappointment.

> Using converting
> software I can convert to .avi or. .mpg files, but the subtitles do
> not get transferred. So please let me know how to burn a DVD movie
> disk with subtitles on a Mac, with OS X software.

ffmpegX will create VIDEO_TS folders that comply with the DVD Spec out of
MKV files. Here's the good news: burning a VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD is a
snap. Any program that can burn data DVDs can handle this. Here's the bad
news: ffmpegX doesn't do subtitles (unless they're burned in) or multiple
audio tracks.

> Alternatively let me
> know a method of extracting subtitles will also help because there are
> Mac software which can combine .mpg and subtitles files to burn a DVD.

Good news: Extracting the subtitles is easy! Just use MKVExtract (part of
the MKVtoolsNIX suite, command line only, but it's not that hard to use or
learn, just read the man pages) and presto!

Bad news: Likely your subtitles are either SRTs or SSA/ASS files, and I
don't know of any program that will convert those to the VOB Subpicture
subtitles you need for the DVD spec.

Thanks,