[Matroska-users] Screenshots from MKV-files

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 19:32:22 CEST 2009

I'm assuming you're using Windows. This has something to do with the way
DirectShow paints the picture on the screen. I think it's some kind of
internal chroma-keying thing designed to prevent people from stealing movies
by taking a screenshot every frame.

The solution is to use something else, something that doesn't rely on
DirectShow or the Haali Media Splitter. And you're in luck, because I have
just the thing: VLC (http://www.videolan.org). It has internal Matroska
decoding engines, internally stored and operated codecs, and it uses a
variety of screen painting methods. Even better: it has an internal
screenshot button (it calls it a "snapshot"). VLC is 100% free and open
source, and even if I'm wrong about you using Windows, it's also available
on Linux, Mac OS X, BeOS and Syllable.