[Matroska-users] converting mkv video

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 18:35:40 CET 2009

Malcolm - Loes wrote:

> I have downloaded an mkv video and I want to burn it to dvd using nero
> – but it does not support this type of file How can I covert the file
> so that it can burnt or have you a burner which will burn the file so
> that can be played on a dvd player
>
> Hope you can help
>
> malcolm

There's a Windows application called DVD Santa that can do the trick for
you. However, it's not free. If you do want free, however, you can look
up FFMPEG, which is an open source project that has no problems with MKV
files. FFMPEG, being a command line application, can be a little
intimidating sometimes, so you might want to find a graphical interface
for it (a GUI). There's probably a couple dozen of those out there for
Windows, and they're all free.

Just an FYI: FFMPEG cannot directly burn DVDs. It can, however, create a
properly formatted Video_TS folder, which is essentially a DVD that just
hasn't been burned to a disc. Nero can handle that part of the job
without breaking a sweat.