[Matroska-users] Hardware acceleration

obogdanov at gmail.com obogdanov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 22:25:35 CEST 2008

There's a lot of confusion regarding current hardware acceleration support of various codecs and wrappers on many forums.  My interest on this topic is purely from the standpoint of getting smooth 1080p video playback of a .mkv file containing H.264 video.  Specifically I'd like to understand if Nvidia PureVideo technology can be used to take load off the CPU.

I have similar choppy video results and high CPU usage (under xp pro) with VLC, media player classic, powerDVD (with hardware acceleration enabled).

Hardware is a core 2 duo @ 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, nvidia 7950gt w/ latest drivers (it may be that this card is too old to support the necessary purevideo features, but nvidia sucks with documentation)

Does the wrapper have anything to do with hardware acceleration of a codec?  It there anything about matroska (or matroska paired with H.264) that would make this difficult?  Any advice on smooth playback of 1080p video?

Thanks,