[Matroska-users] Using Submerge to Export .mkv to Apple TV

Eric Oliveira eric.oliveira at mac.com
Mon Oct 27 19:08:03 CET 2008

Hi Chris. I browsed the Matroska website for support on one specific
problem.
Because I didn't find an answer, I'm writing you this.

I have several movie files in the Matroska format over which I add
subtitles using Bitfield's Submerge and export to Apple TV .
Recently I also bought an Elgato Turbo 264 in order to speed up
things, as recommended in Bitfield's site.
Several times after waiting 20+ hours to export a file, I discover
that an error prevented the encodind and stoped. Several other times
the file is encoded but when I try to open it with Submerge or
QuickTime or import to iTunes I get a message that it is not a video
file. On the other hand, most of the times I can open it normally
with VLC.
I don't experience the same problems using .avi, for instance. Only
with .mkv.
I'm pretty sure that the problems are related to QuickTime.
Have you ever come up with this kind of situation? Have you any
suggestion to overcome these problems?
I'm currently in contact with the support teams at Elgato and
Bitfield and could suggest them anything you might think can work.
I'll also attach screenshots of the messages I descibed above.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Eric Oliveira
São Paulo - Brazil