[Matroska-users] Hi, I have a question about matroska

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at 24hourloop.com
Fri Nov 14 18:29:08 CET 2008

Anson,

while the Matroska is a bit more efficient than others, the size reduction
you can expect from simply remuxing it will be marginal. You have the option
of recompressing the video with a codec with better efficiency such as h.264
in your case. You should be able to achieve roughly a quarter of the size of
the original file (depending on your exact settings during recompression)
with minimal loss in quality. The output of that compression would be a good
candidate for the Matroska container (instead of MP4).

/re

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Anson Lin <rukawatung at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madan,
>
> How are you?
> My name is Anson. I have an MPEG2 file which is 1.4GB, and I'd like to
> convert it to MKV file to reduce its size and remain the quality at the same
> time. The ideal size is about 350MB. I've tried MKVToolNix and VirtualDubMod
> a little bit, but it seems didn't work for my purpose.
> Could you please advise me how can I get it done?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Anson

> Read Matroska-Users on GMane:

/re

"Nothing is more terrible than the murder of a beautiful theory by a gang of
ugly facts."
--
Unknown