[Matroska-users] coreplayer

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 07:28:20 CET 2008

1). We are not involved in the development of the CorePlayer. This
mailing list is solely about the Matroska container.
2). We do not know nearly enough information about the video to begin
to figure out what's wrong.

It's impossible to tell from the sparse information given whether the
problem exists with the CorePlayer, the Matroska container, or the
problem exists with the LifeDrive. Here's a list of (based on the
information you have given us) possible causes to your problem (in
many possible combinations):

* Core is malfunctioning
* The Matroska file has a malformed header
* The Matroska file has a malformed index
* The Matroska file contains video using a codec that Core is
incapable of decoding
* The Matroska file contains audio using a codec that Core is
incapable of decoding
* The Matroska file contains video that is damaged
* The Matroska file contains audio that is damaged
* The Matroska file contains video using a codec that requires more
processing power than the LifeDrive is capable of delivering
* The Matroska file contains audio using a codec that requires more
processing power than the LifeDrive is capable of delivering

Personally, my money is on either the codecs or the processing power.
Matroska files have become something of a de facto standard for
storing high quality audio and video, including high definition media.
Let's face it, the LifeDrive wasn't a bad device, but it only had a
416 MHz ARM. I wouldn't honestly expect the processor to manage to
decode 640x480 MPEG-4 ASP and 256 KbPS VBR MP3 (which can be put
inside a Matroska file) but I wouldn't be surprised to see 320x240
MPEG-4 with 128 KbPS CBR MP3 play back at about 20 (give or take) FPS
(which can also be stored in a Matroska file).

Simply put, we don't make the Core player, we don't make the Matroska
files. What we (well, some of us) make is the specification that
defines what a Matroska file is. All we can really do is tell you
where the fault exists. If the problem is with Core, you'll have to
contact Core's developers. If the problem is with the LifeDrive, then
there's not much you can do (outside of buying something other than a
LifeDrive). If the problem is with the file, then you'll have to find
another file.

You could provide us with more information by running MKVDiag, which
is a utility that should output a diagnostics report on the Matroska
file, we can attempt to determine the likely source of your issue, and
figure out why your video "WON"T PLAY!!!!"

Thank you, and have a pleasant day.