[Matroska-users] Subtitle formats

Craig Shelley craig at microtron.org.uk
Fri May 30 21:43:53 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 07:48 -0600, Duane Evenson wrote:

> I think you're going off on a tangent here. Matroska can handle the
> VOSSUB subtitles from your DVD. Reconfigure your DVD subtitle ripper to
> rip the subtitles to VOBSUB.
> Your utility is extracting to PNG files in anticipation that you want to
> OCR the subtitle into a text-based subtitle format like ASS or SRT. This
> is what many of us do as the result is much smaller subtitle
> files/streams and ultimately smaller multimedia files.The subtitles are
> editable as text format subtitles. Also, displaying these subtitles
> takes less CPU power than displaying VOBSUB subtitles.

Sorry, my original post was a little misleading. My video source is from
UK DVB-T.
As far as I can gather, there are two sources of subtitles in DVB-T, the
DVB Sub-Picture subtitle stream, and teletext.
Teletext would be the preferred option because it is plain text, and
gives the end user preference over rendering, typeface etc... However I
am having difficulty extracting the teletext data from the .ts files.
Something that perhaps I should pursue further.
I seem to be able to access the DVB SubPicture stream ok, however I'm
running into a few problems getting it into a suitable format for
mkvmerge.

I'll look into the teletext subs further, because I believe it offers
more flexibility than rastered images.

Many Thanks,

Craig