[Matroska-users] Subtitle formats

Duane Evenson duane-tech at shaw.ca
Fri May 30 15:48:05 CEST 2008

Craig Shelley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sure this question has been asked before, but here goes:
>
> Are PNG subtitles supported in matroska? If not, will they ever likely
> be supported?
>
> Can anyone recommend a reliable method (from the command line) of
> copying DVB subtitles into .mkv files under Linux. Using the latest
> dvbsubs utility, I can extract the subtitles to .png files with an
> accompanying xml file to specify the timings.
>
> Where do I go from here?
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Craig Shelley

I think you're going off on a tangent here. Matroska can handle the
VOSSUB subtitles from your DVD. Reconfigure your DVD subtitle ripper to
rip the subtitles to VOBSUB.
Your utility is extracting to PNG files in anticipation that you want to
OCR the subtitle into a text-based subtitle format like ASS or SRT. This
is what many of us do as the result is much smaller subtitle
files/streams and ultimately smaller multimedia files.The subtitles are
editable as text format subtitles. Also, displaying these subtitles
takes less CPU power than displaying VOBSUB subtitles.