[Matroska-users] .mkv !

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu May 22 18:21:19 CEST 2008

Uhm, not quite. MKV doesn't dictate the quality of the audio or video,
since it's just a container. The audio/video quality still depends on
the codec. I suppose the best way of thinking of it is to think of
Matroska, AVI, OGM and MOV is like a suitcase. Each suitcase has
different features, different ways of expanding, storing small things
in little pockets, etc. A codec is the way you fold the clothes, which
is completely independent of the suitcase. H.264 will look the same
whether it's in an AVI, MOV, MP4 or an MKV, but whether or not you can
use other features with that video (subtitles, audio tracks, etc) is
the difference.