[Matroska-users] VobSub

Andrea Cogliati andreac71 at hotmail.com
Fri May 30 22:38:19 CEST 2008

I can't create a MKV archive with audio, video and subtitles (VobSub). I've ripped a movie into an AVI (with mencoder) with separate idx/sub that play perfectly in vlc and mplayer (even with subtitles activated). If I mux audio and video streams in MKV, the resulting file still plays correctly. If I mux audio/video and VobSub the problems arise. VLC shows 3 subtitle streams, has bad video quality and generally crashes after a while. mplayer complains that my PC is slow and the video is sloppy.

This is the syntax I use:

mkvmerge -o "video.mkv"  --language 1:eng -a 1 -d 0 -S "video.avi" --language 0:eng -s 0 -D -A "video.idx" --track-order 0:0,0:1,1:0

Using separate audio and video streams, instead of AVI, before muxing doesn't solve the problem. What am I doing wrong?