[Matroska-users] 264/AC3/vobsub: NALU size?

Sir W AndreaC71 at hotmail.com
Fri May 30 15:50:30 CEST 2008

I'm trying to convert a DVD (namely Ice Age) to MKV with h264 video, AC3 audio
and VobSub subtitles. I use mplayer/mencoder. If I only mux audio and video
streams, the resulting MKV plays fine. If I try to add subtitles I get the
following error from mkvmerge:

Error: '/iceage.264' track 0: This AVC/h.264 contains frames that are too big
for the current maximum NALU size. You have to re-run mkvmerge and set the
maximum NALU size to 3 for this track (command line parameter
'--nalu-size-length 0:3').

If I add the suggested parameter I end up with an archive crashing vlc and
breaking mplayer. mplayer console shows tons of messages like:

Error while decoding frame! [h264 @ 0x7c9990]AVC: nal size 32826.000 117/117
1% 0% 6.8% 1 0 [h264 @ 0x7c9990]no frame!

What am I missing?