[Matroska-users] RE: [Matroska-general] how can I covert mkv files into to avi?

Duane Evenson duane-tech at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 26 12:17:12 CET 2008

Fermin Quant wrote:
> Actually, the reason I want to turn them into avi was because I want
> to make them smaller, and I don't know how to manipulate the mkv
> files. Becuase I have 24 minutes episodes of 250-300 MB, and I want to
> turn them to about 90 MB, by turning them into 170MB avi then into
> 90MB RMVB, that was my original plan.
> But since its not possible because of the VFR, could you tell me how
> to make the mkv files smaller?

Your best course of action is to use mencoder to transcode the original
to a smaller picture size. Keep all the quality options, and encode to
h264. If your picture is 640x400, going to 320x200 will make your final
size probably around 75-90MB. You will be surprised at how good a decent
encode at a smaller resolution will appear -- much better than if you
used two lossy transcodes.