[Matroska-users] RE: [Matroska-general] how can I covert mkv files into to avi?

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at 24hourloop.com
Mon Jan 21 20:46:02 CET 2008

Pretty much agree with everything that was said here. I am not sure whether you are working under Windows/Mac/Linux but I assume you are using Windows.

Install the mkvmerge-gui. Run it and drop your mkv file onto it. It will tell you what sort of streams you have in there. (mkvinfo tells you, too, but probably way too much information than you need).

If it is stuff that can be muxed into an avi container you simply use mkvextract (or the gui), split it into it's elementary streams and use something like avisynth or virtualdub to mux it back together. If you want, you can re-encode the audio to mp3 in the process.

Your first step should be to find out what you have.

I very much recommend against a two-step recompression process. If at all possible you should leave it at that ratio but if you have to, choose soome high qualityt codec and only do it obnce (h.264 or VC1 comes to mind). VC1 can be muxed into a wmv file with wma audio and played on most windows computers. H.264 with AAC can be played on pretty much every operating system, but you might have to download the free directshow filter for windows.

But then again, why not stay with mkv altogether as it gives you the least muxing overhead?

/re