[Matroska-users] RE: [Matroska-general] how can I covert mkv files into to avi?

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 20:11:37 CET 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 12.54, Fermin Quant wrote:

> Actually, the reason I want to turn them into avi was because I want
> to make them smaller, and I don't know how to manipulate the mkv
> files.

The best program for that is, in my opinion, ffmpeg. It'll do
everything you could ever want, with a high degree of precision and
efficiency. Plus it has native support for almost everything on the
planet (except that super-proprietary Windows Media stuff, but that
can be hacked in, kinda)

> Becuase I have 24 minutes episodes of 250-300 MB, and I want to turn
> them to about 90 MB, by turning them into 170MB avi then into 90MB
> RMVB, that was my original plan.

OK, this is a very very bad idea. First, likely if it's 24 minutes at
300 MB, it's probably high definition, maybe 720p. I don't *know* but
I'm guessing. So you'll lose a lot of graphical detail just by
downscaling. Second, you're talking about going from lossy (MKV
unknown codec @ 300MB) to lossy (AVI unknown codec @ 170MB) to lossy
(RMVB @ 90MB). You're going to lose ten tons of quality in your first
step. Plus RMVB is, relatively speaking, a rather low quality codec,
compared to something like H.264/x264/AVC (same thing, three different
names), which is what your source video probably is already. If you
REALLY REALLY need it, try and reduce that all to one step (MKV ->
RMVB), or at least use a lossless codec for your middle step (maybe
DV, but that's got some rather picky requirements, and it's usually
highly impractical).

> But since its not possible because of the VFR, could you tell me how
> to make the mkv files smaller?

It's rare to find variable framerate material. Most of the time,
people just use MKV because it's friendly with H.264 and AC3/Dolby
Digital/A52 (again, same codec, three different names) in the same
file. Those two codecs happen to be the codecs of choice when it comes
to distributing high definition content on the tubes these days. My
advice, if you absolutely need to do this (remember, you might lose
additional data, like subtitles, additional audio tracks, chapter
points, etc.) is to look into ffmpeg (open source, cross platform, has
tons of GUIs for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and MEncoder (sister
project of MPlayer, open source, cross platform, not as many nice GUIs
and ffmpeg, but it does some nicer stuff, http://mplayerhq.hu). If you
can't keep the content in the MKV file (some set-top box won't play
it, your computer can't decode high def content in real time, etc)
then at least cut out the RMVB stuff, since that's got less support
than MKV and the quality will be (after your three step process) about
ten times worse than your source. Both ffmpeg and MPlayer/MEncoder
have incredibly responsive and helpful mailing lists if you need help,
and there's tons of tutorials for both on the web.