[Matroska-users] would like to insert WMA file into MKV file

Duane Evenson duane-tech at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 12 13:45:13 CET 2008

Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> You can try using the DLLs from WMP with MEncoder, but I can't promise success. It might be a legal issue anyway. I'd contact the MPlayer mailing list for more information.
>
> You could just try demuxing the two tracks, and just remux them with MKVMerge. Mplayer -dumpaudio and I think -dumpvideo should demux this for you.

The wmv file format isn't a problem, I just used "mencoder -oac copy
-ovc copy infile.wmv outfile.avi" to make the container a
mkvmerge-friendly format. The problem is as soon as mkvmerge sees the
wma stream in the avi file. I've already tried this with each audio,
video, and subtitle as a separate file. The problem is with mkvmerge and
the codec.

Mencoder doesn't seem to work as an alternative. I tried "mencoder -oac
copy -ovc copy -of lavf -lavfopts format=asf -o outfile.wmv -sub sub.ass
infile.wmv". This results in a floating point exception error. I get the
same error trying a srt subtitle file and format=mkv, neither seems to work.

I think my best hope is still to find a way to insert a wma audio codec
into the mkv container.

If nothing seems to work, then I'm afraid I'll have to break down and
__transcode__ (shiver) the audio to vorbis. Before that happens, I'll
continue to hope someone knows a way to insert the wma audio into the
mkv container.