[Matroska-users] Audio Volume normalisation for muxing Audiotracks

Duane Evenson duane-tech at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 11 13:57:58 CET 2008

Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> I think that may be one of the few things that Matroska has no native support for. There are some Open Source tools that should offer Normalization functions for most formats, but I'm not near a computer, so I can't confirm any of this.

Try audacity. It's what I've been using to prepare dual language audio
tracks. I use it most for syncing up the sounds so things like thumps
are simultaneous in both languages. With audacity, I can add silences or
trim the added track easily. Once done I go Effect-->Normalize. You this
may not get you everything you want because it will amplify the loudest
sound to the maximum range -- some dubs are very quiet with large spikes
in volume --then it takes some extra preprocessing. It is also good in
that although it requires wav files for input (use mplayer to output to
pcm/wav format), it will export as wav, mp3 or (my favourite) ogg vorbis.
Good luck.