[Matroska-users] Matrroska not worth it

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Thu Jan 3 01:49:00 CET 2008

Simple thing. We just receive too many emails like yours, from people
who are normally just too lazy to invest at least some thought on what
they are trying to do. After a while, you are burned out. Bear in mind,
we invest quite a lot of time in what we are doing, and we receive no
form of payment for that. And, we normally never ever receive any
feedback from those hundreds of thousands of files which are working
fine. Only those few giving problems, for whatever reasons normally not
being in our responsibility are turning to us for complaints. And you
can not even in your worst expectations think of what we have to listen
to every day.

I sincerely apologize if you really invested the amount of time in
playing the file as you are claiming you are. However, from somebody who
was programming servers as you are, why didnt you think of the most
likely problem first, i.e. a corrupt download ? Why would anybody want
to distribute a file which doesnt work at all ?

Be it as it is, i am glad your 2nd MKV file did work fine. Never forget,
matroska is nothing else but a simple, but very versatile, video and
audio container. Primarily, it was never intended to be used a content
distribution file format (its in fact not really suitable for this) but
to replace old, outdated AVI as a general use video container, but with
the ability to support modern compression formats such as h.264 (AVC)
video and Vorbis and AAC audio, and advanced video editing capabilities.
It were basically our users who decided it would also be a good
container to distribute video, mainly because it does allow to have
Realvideo (RV9, RV10) in combination with Vorbis audio and also h.264
high-definition video with AC 3 audio (as used on HD-DVDs).

Enjoy your MKV video, whoever was distributing them, and for whatever
reasons.

Regards