[Matroska-users] Matrroska not worth it

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 22:44:18 CET 2008

It IS the  fault of user encoding (No MKV file should lack an EBML header), which means nothing for Matroska on the whole, because the same thing can happen with any media. I've seen screwed up AVI, MP4, Mov, Real and ASF/WMV. It happens all the time.

And as far as the user lacking the software, it's because developers are slow to adopt Matroska. If you look at VlC and MPlayer, which feature Matroska support "out of the box," they have no issues with any files. As far as Microsoft's quality of support, that's a vendor lock-in, because you'll never see WMVs used by anyone except Microsoft and their partners. Hell, you can barely play a WMV on a non-Microsoft platform. If you do things right (like use a robust media player, like VLC) then no issues come up.

Plus, you can't write off a whole container because of one bad experience. I've dealt with tons of MKVs and I use it for my personal media, and I've never had a problem.