[Matroska-users] Matrroska not worth it

Patrick Simmons borazon at pppoe.ca
Wed Jan 2 19:23:04 CET 2008

I recently (two days ago) decided to try downloading an .MKV file, just
to see if it was as good as I've read on the 'net.

Now, after much web searching, forum searching, downloads, program
crashes and so on, I've decided that the format
isn't worth it.

My needs are simple: high quality audio and video playback. Shouldn't be
too hard with today's technology, right?
Apparently not with an .MKV file.

(VERY brief summary of my own difficulties)
Tried CCCP pack; couldn't play the file (Possible error with corrupt
file, missing filters, hardware conflict, etc., etc.)
Downloaded your diagnostic tool and ran it against the file. It reported
no EBML header.
Downloaded and installed the VideoLAN VLC player. Surprise! It started
to play the file! Well, for a few seconds
before it got choppy, then crashed with a Microsoft C+ runtime library
error. Glad to see that the BETA software at
least got further than the (supposedly) stable CCCP pack...

I'll be going back to the site to flag this file as corrupt and
recommend others not use this format (unless they have a lot
of time to kill).

Maybe your container is technologically superior to Microsoft's, but at
least I can play theirs without having to learn about
codecs, filters, encoding, libraries, etc. Most people just want to
watch the content, not struggle with it. And saying it's either
a fault of the author's encoding, or a fault of the user for not having
the correct software installed won't help your format's
cause any.

Remember, users aren't programmers.

And, before you dismiss this as just a rant, I've programmed business
applications for over 10 years, and have administered
both servers (Windows, Unix, OS/400) and networks for over 20 years. I'm
no stranger to software installation and
configuration.

If you read this far, thank you for your time.