[Matroska-users] Mkv on NAS

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at 24hourloop.com
Thu Feb 14 00:13:30 CET 2008

Not sure this is all that pertinent but I use mencoder which in turn also uses x264 to encode. I can play just fine off of NAS but I am using NFS which is much faster than SMB. As a matter of fact, it takes significantly longer for me to start up a DivX/Xvid due to the parsing than an mkv h.264 (I use AAC I should mention).

There is a lot of data traveling on Netbios which is not payload. Could this be part of the problem? I am using a TVix and play off of an NFS share on one of my PCs. I haven't tried an SMB share (which is also supported) but the manufacturer advises against it due to the overhead.

/re