[Matroska-users] MKV Files

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at 24hourloop.com
Wed Feb 13 20:00:11 CET 2008

Not sure why you complain about DVDSanta. DVDs make use of MPEG2 in that container. It takes about 2 minutes to remux from mkv to MPEG2.

The advantage of the Matroska format is its almost unlimited ability to mux any kind of content stream into it, something that cannot be said about any other container.

Native Matroska is beginning to find more widespread acceptance such as with the TVIX box.

Most open source players (all that I know) support Matroska such as mplayer, VLC, I believe Xine, Gstreamer. The advantage is to have everything in one file. Imagine having an XVid file with 3 subtitle streams and four language streams! That is a lot of separate files that you have to keep track of. Matroska is one file and it will easily accommodate such a challenge.

Like yourself, I was a bit skeptical at first but have come around to understanding that the advantages (and effortless convertibility) outweigh the disadvantages of slow commercial market penetration.

/re