[Matroska-users] MKV file plays badly (choppy video) (sound not in sync)

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at 24hourloop.com
Sat Dec 6 19:09:15 CET 2008

Let just add that should also be aware that not all players are created
equal. A good test is what is referred to as the 'killa sample' You can find
it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/82525583/killa.sampla.x264.mkv.html. It
pushes the limits of the h.264 decoder. I found that for this particular
sample not even a 2 Ghz CPU would do. It had to be upward from that.

As for the different decoders: The VLC player has its own set of decoders,
apparently does not use Directshow filters. It does not perform as well as
say the ffmpeg decoder (mplayer). So if you have a borderline suitable
system, try giving different decoders a whirl.

/re

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com>wrote:

> You're attempting to watch a video with a resolution of 1920x1080,
> progressive scan (1080p) encoded with H.264. That right there is a recepie
> for disaster unless you have a fast system. I'd recommend nothing slower
> that a Core Duo at 2.1 GHz, and 2 GB of RAM. (That's assuming you have
> nothing else running and you're not using Vista).
>
> Unless your system meets the specifications above, the problem is probably
> that your computer is too slow.

/re

"This isn't meant to last. This is for right now."
-=-Trent Reznor