[Matroska-users] How to have a matroska file to hold and play an external matroska file?

O Homem Que Copiava ohomemquecopiava at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 02:32:44 CET 2008

Hello.

I tried googling for the information I want. The best I could find was
a matroska.org technical information page which did not help me. I
also tried searching the mailing lists, with no interesting results.
So, I am sending this message. If there is a place I can find this
information in a not-too-techie way, feel free to point it to me.

I heard of something that, if I used, would prove very useful indeed.

I was told that we can have a Matroska file to hold its contents and
play an external Matroska file.

I don't know whether I'm being clear. Let me give you an example.

Say that I am an amateur video editor and want to release my mock news
program. Every episode, I have a small introduction with the
headlines, then my beautiful opening video with a song comes up. After
that, I give the mock news, and comes the ending sequence with another
song. Finally, there's a preview of the next program's jokes.

I could have the opening and ending sequences in every file. However,
diskspace and bandwidth are not unlimited, and I don't want to have
hundreds of copies of the same sequence floating around. That's where
the information I got comes in.

I heard that it is possible, with Matroska, to have the sequences in
another file and somehow link them from every episode. Like, having e
for episode, p for part, s for opening sequence and t for ending
sequence:

Files: e1.mkv, e2.mkv, ... ewhatever.mkv, s.mkv, t.mkv.
I play e1.mkv. It is actually composed by three audio tracks and three
video tracks (that part is easy), which I will group and name as e1p1,
e1p2 and e1p3.
What I want the player to do is: play e1p1, open up s.mkv and play s,
close it down, go back and play e1p2, open up t.mkv and play t, close
it down, go back and play e1p3.

I gave it as an example with 3 parts and 2 external files, but it
applies for any number.

I think I've made very clear what I'm talking about; if not, I can
explain further (I even get the feeling that I'm kind of
"overexplaining", but you never know).

So. I heard that I can do such an arrangement with Matroska files. I
want to know if this is possible and how to do it.

I thank you all in advance, and congratulate the people behind
Matroska for this great container.

Best wishes,
O Homem Que Copiava.