[Matroska-users] matroska streaming and segment linking

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Thu Apr 3 13:54:29 CEST 2008

tyggrysio wrote:
> hi,
>   I know that there are three kind of segment linking, but I haven't
> found if all segments must exists while linked segment is playing.
> I would like to create a matroska stream, so I need to send first
> segment, then second segment and so on... Will all segments be played
> one by one by default? If no, I must link those segments, but when I
> am creating first segment I can create also second segment's UID, but
> this segment does not exist yet - so there could be a problem if video
> player would try to find it.
> Is there any special element/tag to make a video player to play video
> segment by segment (when the segment starts playing, the next one does
> not yet exist)? Or maybe it is done by default?

I don't know how Haali did it, but in VLC the segments are (recursively)
loaded (only partially) when the first segment is loaded.

The problem with the thing you propose is that seeking would be
impossible with such links. And/or you never know if the linked segment
will be available when you want to access it. That's a big constraint on
the user.

If what you are looking for is a constant (endless) stream, this is
possible with segments one after the other. No need for a file or
anything like that.

Steve