[Matroska-users] How to open .ax files

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 16:34:38 CEST 2007

.AX files aren't Matroska files, so we might now be able to give you a satisfactory answer.

In my experience, two programs that can play ANYTHING I can throw at them (from h.264 to ViVo to Indeo in containers as diverse as MKV to OGM to FLV to custom hacked MP4) are MPlayer (http://mplayerhq.hu) and VLC (http://www.videolan.org). Between them, I have yet to find a file that won't play. Both programs have Windows versions, but MPlayer is a command-line program, just as a warning.

Other than that, I haven't a clue what to suggest. VLC and MPlayer ought to work since they use statically linked libraries and rely on nothing of Vista's, save video output. Sorry I can't help more, but research on the Wikipedia doesn't tell me much more than .AX is the TLD of Âland Islands, and I haven't used Windows as an operating system in about four or so years.

Good luck, hope you find an answer.